University Communications, Printing and Mailing Services, and the Division of Student Life are working together to assist departments with the production of this year's commencement programs. The following guidelines, dates, and information will help ensure consistency of programs across campus, while providing departments with quality and value.
Below is a list of required program elements, information and support for design and ordering, printing cost estimates, and design options.
Program content deadline is Monday, May 15, 2017 (excluding graduate names)
Graduate names are due by Thursday, June 1, 2017. All program content must be submitted in a word document (or we can provide a pdf version of your program last year for you to edit). You will need to complete a job request form to Marketing Communications by May 15 to ensure timely delivery of your completed program.
Submit a job request for design Username: jobrequest Password: jobrequest
If your department has a graphic designer on staff (a staff member whose UO position description includes graphic design), InDesign templates can be provided to them. Contact Michele Ross, creative services manager, with template requests.
Required program elements
Our designers will ensure that required elements, such as the University of Oregon seal and a short equal opportunity statement, are included in your program. Additional required elements (please include these in your job request):
- The name of your school or college, as well as your department (example: College of Arts and Sciences, Department of Philosophy)
- The names of the president (Michael H. Schill), provost (Scott Coltrane), and your school or college's dean.
- The following text from the UO Alumni Association: "To learn more about the UO Alumni Association visit alumni.uoregon.edu." You may choose to include additional text about any alumni chapters within your department, school, or college.
- The UO's Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action statement: "An equal-opportunity, affirmative-action institution committed to cultural diversity and compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act."
- There are several cover options available. Please choose from the options illustrated below.
- Programs may have velum inserts (with printed "O" logo or other university-approved design elements)
- Special paper stock (check early with Printing and Mailing on cost and availability for any nonstandard paper option)
When submitting your job request, please indicate your cover-design choice from the following options:
Option 1 (green evergreen)
Option 2 (yellow evergreen)
Option 3 (white evergreen)
Option 4 (green bark)
Option 5 (yellow bark)
Option 6 (white bark)
Option 7 (green rocks)
Option 8 (yellow rocks)
Option 9 (white rocks)
Option 10 (green leaf)
Option 11 (yellow leaf)
Option 12 (white leaf)
Option 13 (green pillar)
Option 14 (yellow pillar)
Option 15 (white pillar)
Option 16 1-page front
Option 16 1-page back
Marketing Communications charges a $50 fee to design commencement programs. You will be asked to provide a budget index when you submit your job request.
Printing and Mailing has provided the following cost estimates based on standard, in-stock paper options.
Size: 5.5 x 8.5
Paper stock: 80# cover and 70# opaque text body
Binding: fold, stitch, trim
Quantity: 100 (for estimating purposes)
4-page program: $43 black and white / $121 color
8-page program: $59 black and white / $195 color
16-page program: $96 black and white / 354 color
Flysheet or velum insert: $0.40 per program
Special paper stock: price on request
Proposed Symbols for Honors
Below are the recommended symbols for honor or distinctions. If you want to use other symbols, we recommend you ensure symbols do not represent something else (i.e. cross could have religious meaning, etc.)
Summa cum laude***
Magna cum laude **